Friday, March 9, 2012

Independence


Independent—not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion,conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself

Kaylee has a unique situation regarding independence.  She is so entirely dependent on the help of others and yet she is constantly showing her independence.  We recently removed Kaylee’s bed and put her mattress directly on the floor.  Kaylee has never been able to get out of bed in the morning or, like most all typical kids, get up numerous times at night after being put to bed.  Well, now she sure can!!  It is one of her favorite things, actually.  She even “practices” during the day….I put her to bed then leave and wait for her arrival in the living room.  I can hear the giggling all the way.  

Last night after putting Kaylee to bed, I too went to bed.  I heard some noise on the monitor but since Josh was still up I assumed he was checking on her.--Wrong--LOL!      Maybe an hour after bedtime I heard more noise and I finally decided to go check on Kaylee myself.  Well, I did not find her in her bedroom at all, but in her playroom.  (Josh was in the room with her playing guitar though) She was using markers to color, and the coloring book wasn’t the only place she had colored--her hands and face matched the picture.  It was so cute I just laughed and joined her.  I decided to let her stay up late and we even made cookies.  

Maybe all you seasoned Moms think it is completely out of the question to have responded the way I did...  Afterall, she disobeyed by getting out of bed, opened markers that she should only use with help, and therefore she should have been taken back to bed and scolded.  But I saw in that grin as I surprised her, accomplishment.  She had worked for 5 1/2 years to achieve this.  Sometimes as parents I think we need to look at a child’s behavior simply for what it is…..childlike.  They like to explore and impress and at times that means doing something that we teach them not to do.  Yes teaching them is our responsibility, but some of the most enjoyable times together are when we just say "YES" when our natural response is no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment